Mar 3, 2010

My obsession...

Apparently I'm obsessed with my children's sleeping habits. This was brought to my attention when I was wasting some time finding out what my most frequent facebook status update terms were. 'Sleep' 'nap' and 'bed' were right at the top....right after 'girls' 'Elizabeth' and 'Julia' and right before 'David'. So apparently, I think about it alot. After this came to my attention, I began to think that this was ridiculous. Why should I be so obsessed with my kids' sleeping habits? After all, their sleep patterns aren't that bizarre....are they? Well, maybe they are.

Case 1:
Setting: two nights ago
time: 4:30 am
Julia: asleep in my bed
Elizabeth: asleep in Julia's bed
Me: asleep in the sponge bob couch in my kids' bedroom floor

Case 2:
setting: last night
time: 2:00 am
Me: asleep in my bed (for the moment)
Julia: asleep in sponge bob couch (for the moment)
Elizabeth: apparently not sleeping in Julia's bed because I hear my two year old's excitement as she opens her bedroom door and exclaims "I DID IT DAHLIA!!" "I DID IT!!" "COME ON DAHLIA!!'
(Read 'Julia' for 'Dahlia' after all, Elizabeth is just 2 and J's are still kinda hard)
This evening continued by getting Elizabeth back to sleep in her own bed (a 30 minute task), getting Julia to sleep in my bed (after 2 hours of laying awake in her own bed) and getting myself to sleep in the 3 inches of my bed that is left after David and Julia finish sprawling (the sun was up before this happened). When I awoke a whopping 45 minutes later, I was on the remaining 2 inches of bed and Julia was sprawled over me, as though she were the one with no mattress space....I should've opted for the sponge bob couch again.

You may think these are isolated incidences...but no...such stories are regular occurrances in the Willingham household. So, this is why I'm obsessed with the sleep patterns of my children. Because even Elizabeth, who I consider a fabulous sleeper, has at least one non-sleeping night each month. But hey, these years pass quickly right? And at some point, I'll be obsessed with things far more stressful than sleep habits. For now, I'm considering purchasing a much larger sponge bob couch...

2 comments:

tracyp said...

I just love the thought of you sprawled on the sponge bob couch while your girls have your bed! Here's to hoping you get new obsession! ;p

Sarah said...

Love it Amy. Like Kara D says, "Little people, little problems. Big people, big problems."
Hey, do you want to be included in a list of bloggers in the stake?