Sep 28, 2008

peeling onions...

You know how sometimes you get a laughing fit that just won't stop. It's generally the result of being over-tired and hearing a joke that's really not that funny. It's also got to be one of the best feelings in the world. Well, I wouldn't be bringing this up if it hadn't happened to me recently. And so, it was last night, about 11:30. (I had been in Illinois a good bit this week and had just gotten back and put the kids in bed.) David and I went to bed and I relayed to him a joke I had heard on NPR (or PRI, whichever it is called at the moment). Of course, I would never want to deprive anyone the opportunity to laugh uncontrollably at something that isn't all that funny, so I'm announcing the onion joke.

A caller calls in (that's what they do) and says, "I was wondering if anyone knew how to peel an onion without crying. My friend said to do it under water and I nearly drowned."

That's it. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I laughed for a good 30 minutes. Must've been fatigue.

3 comments:

tracyp said...

We all need times like that!

Fletcher Five said...

You will be happy to know that I read that joke to your brother... and he laughed quite a long time as well. Of course it was at 11:00 and he was enthralled in his "math" homework. Just think... it is not as bad as the famous tractor joke.

Unknown said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who laughs at small and dumb jokes. My very favorite that makes me laugh every time I think about it is:

What is the last thing to go through a bug's mind when it hits the windshield?

It's butt!

Anyways, thanks for sharing the onion joke. It made me laugh too!