Oct 29, 2008

so close...

We have made half-hearted attemps at breaking Julia from the binky habit for several months now. It usually goes something like this...No binks during the day, but she can have it for sleep time. After a couple of weeks, it's going pretty well so I think, next week we'll take it away at night too. Then she gets sick. You know, the sick where she whines all day and doesn't sleep enough anyway. So I inevitably give it back to her to save her sanity and mine. However, for the past 2 or so weeks, she has been waking up between 5 and 6:30 screaming for her bink which she has generally either lost beside her pillow or thrown across the room knowing that she won't go back to sleep without it. Smart little bugger. It didn't take long for me to decide that I'd had enough of that and so on Sunday we quit cold-turkey. I'm amazed at how many binks she's had stashed in random places. She's like a squirrel or something. No wonder we could never find one when we needed it. She has found them in the most random places. Like the one she hid in the bathroom cabinet....but I digress. The good news? Yesterdays nap and bedtime last night were scream free. Today's nap has required about 5 minutes of crying, but I'm confident we are almost there. And, I stand by my opinion that it's much easier to have a bad week of breaking the habit than two years trying to keep them pacified without it. Well, that's the long of it. We are (at least for one child) bink free!!

2 comments:

Fletcher Five said...

**I'm doing the happy dance for you** What a great thing to be down one entire "comfort item" that can be lost. No more hunting for bink at 4am, or making a mad dash to Wal-Mart cause you left one at Grandma's house. Yay for being bink free, and for Elizabeth being apparently "nipple-free" as well!!

Tori said...

Good you you. I had to laugh when you said that she throws her binkies across the room, cause that is a normal occurance here in this home, and I know its really not that funny when it happens. But hey, you are now two steps ahead of us...good for you ;)